Thursday, March 01, 2007

Blizzard Warnings in Iowa

Headed home to Grand Marais at this point. So much for the warm southern weather! We drove only two hours this morning, across the Missouri border into Iowa, plowing through slushy rain and hail, and finally pulled off the road near Des Moines while listening to dire storm warnings. We turned into the nearest motel (at 9:45 am ??), then slid over to an adjoining restaurant only to eat ourselves into a coma at the breakfast buffet. Here is our conversation: Chris: "Don't talk to me." Anne: "Don't talk to ME." Chris: "I said it first." Anne: "Yeah, but I THOUGHT it first." We glare at each other, then collapse into laughter. What a morning....

Back at the motel, we are now watching TV news of interstate 80 from the west being closed and the road north to Minnesota is a mess. I'm thinking we should have made a run-for-it to be in Minneapolis with our friends Deb and Erik Strand by tonight. Chris, more familiar with these midwest storms, knows we made the more prudent decision. Wondering if I will be leading worship at Silver Bay on Sunday, I reluctantly decide this would be a good time to write my sermon. So much for my chance to watch day-time TV! -Anne

1 comment:

Mark & Elizabeth said...

Dudes,
I am looking out at some beautiful white falling snow lakes, in the country it is so wonderful to see these storms, I am looking north up the frozen river at this dance of a million points of white. It seems like all of the Twin Cities is shutting down. Wait there till the plows get out.

We are packing up for Argentina, and will be leaving on the 7th, to this warm, sunny inexpensive place. Leaving this whiteness, it all looks so clean out there in its new white coat.
Mark odegard