Monday, October 17, 2005

99 Pieces of Wood on the Ground...



I have been working on this pile of maple for several weeks now. Actually, "pile" does not quite cover the magnitude of my task. We're talking 1 and 1/2 cords of green maple dumped in our driveway, and that stuff is HEAVY! I'm stacking it up in our woodshed, where it will be ready for fall '06. I am learning that dried maple is the heart of a good fire in the woodstove, which can last all night at low temps if you pack it right. While I have always prided myself on my fire-making ability, having won a prize in my Girl Scout troop in Coronado for "fastest lit and biggest fire from wood shavings and two matches" in 4th grade, I have alot to learn about woodstoves. Kindling, then pine and birch for starters, then the maple. Over-identified with the need to feel productive at this stage of my sabbatical, I actually count the number of logs I stack each day, usually going for a nice round "100." So, who needs a local "Curves" when you can build your biceps (and strain your back if you're not pretty careful!) with daily wood-stacking! And we haven't even gotten to the wood-splitting part of this operation yet.....well, first things first and let's get this pile OUT of the driveway!

-Anne

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Anne,
So glad to see your blog, it is a nice way to stay connected. The photos are beautiful.
Mary Beth

Anonymous said...

Hi Anne and Chris,
This is a wonderful way to get a quick view of your new life in MN. Thanks for writing, including pictures, and staying in touch. I can readily imagine having your kind of life these days, if only in my dreams.
This year is crazy here and we are having a good time. The fall conference was great! Wish you could have been there, and I understand that you are in your own "conference."
Keep on enjoying it all.

Ruth Ann

Anonymous said...

Hi Anne and Chris,
Thanks for sharing your new life with us. I especially enjoy re-connecting with my Midwestern roots. I'm reminded of family camping trips in the Upper Peninsula. Yes, we missed you in San Diego, but I celebrate your having this blessed time away from it all in such a beautiful place.
Ardith

Anonymous said...

Hi Anne & Chris, What a beautiful site. The photos make me want to catch a plane and come visit. But don't want to take you away from your chores! Thought I'd let Anne know the good news that we have hired Brian as our 1/2 time Executive Director. I think he will bring his gifts and energy to IPC and help us grow. It's looking more and more like we're going to make it--even without you (who we greatly miss.) He will be meeting Ann K and Robin next week as we begin to "brief" him. Thank you for your long note to him--I think it was very helpful! Steve and I leave tomorrow for Parents Weekend at Boulder--our first time seeing Joel since he left in August. I'm excited to be able to see and hug him! Hope all is well with you. I'll keep you posted on IPC soon! Ann P

Anonymous said...

Hi Anne and Chris,

Your place looks idealic and the autumn there is most inviting. I'm so glad you are writing this blog and sharing your adventures with all your friends back home. We certainly miss you.

Life is pretty much as usual here, except you are missing!

Thanks for your note. I'm so sorry your ribs were painful for so long, but glad it wasn't even more serious.

Love and many blessings,
Beth Miller