Sunday, October 16, 2005

Like Yellow Confetti


I am amazed at how the fall colors are lingering, and the locals comment on the mild temperatures and drawn-out autumn we are having. All this vibrant beauty is such a contrast to the awful news from far away, where more and more regions throughout the world are overwhelmed with new natural disasters. On my way down the hill to worship at the local Congregational Church (UCC) this morning, I was listening to the NPR program "Speaking of Faith" with host Krista Tippett interviewing Dr. Rachel Naomi Remen about the powerlessness we feel in face of an increasingly hurting world. "Heal the world that touches you," Remen said. I've found myself pondering this all day.....what of the world, that I touch right now, needs healing? During announcements at church, a member stood to talk about their congregation's mission partners down in Chiapas, Mexico, where they have been helping financially empower women with literacy groups and a craft co-op. Hurricane Stan (of which we have heard little up here) has heavily impacted both southern Chiapas and Guatemala, with hundreds of thousands of people displaced in the flooding. Chris and I have talked of visiting this region in our winter/spring travels, and are glad for Grand Marais contacts who can help us plan. I'm already grateful that this small, remote, UCC congregation is already helping me see and "touch" new parts of the world.

-Anne

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Anne, I am so touched by your blog. I am thinking of starting my own again. I had one several years ago and then stoped. I will let you know.
Kathy Whilden

Anonymous said...

Hi U2,

Your lush descriptions and photos make me homesick for GM. Especially the view from the Java Moose. It's a beautiful weekend here on the Peninsula. Kathie and I had planned to head to Yosemite and/or the East side of the Sierras this week, but her hard landing after being thrown from a horse has caused our plans to change (She's not badly injured, just very very sore). So we will enjoy what we have.

Anonymous said...

Annie and Chris: This is one impressive little blog! Where have I been?? (Relying on precambrian technology, I'm afraid--the old weekly phone call to get all your news.) Now I see how much I've been missing! I love the pix (very nice touch with the zoom, especially with foliage) and all your musings. For a girl with Maine in her heart and snowshoes in her closet, this is heady stuff.
Can't wait to see you guys next week! The apples are awaiting!

Wen