Thursday, October 13, 2005

Hiking the Oberg Mountain Trail



While much of Minnesota is quite flat, the north shore is hilly with numerous mountain ranges rich with iron ore. The view at the beginning of our blog was taken from the top of Oberg Mountain, which is covered in bright foliage this time of year. As much as I have loved the Monterey Peninsula, I always felt strangely unsettled in September and October. With the coastal fog gone, all the warm weather and mostly green trees, I missed the color and crispness of a New England autumn. I would drive around town, searching for trees that were changing, always relieved to see the big sycamores along Pacific Street finally "go off" yellow around Thanksgiving. Here on the north shore, our cabin road is lined with golden birch and scattered with yellow poplar leaves as I do my daily racewalk in "laps" back and forth from the mailbox. And scattered throughout our 2 acres, are flaming red maples, carefully planted by Chris' dad years ago. Frank, an ethnomusicologist and jazz pianist by profession, loved these woods and was an avid gardener. He and I used to compare cooking notes on the use of fresh herbs and the status of his potted basil each summer I would visit. Although his vegetable garden has long since gone to seed, I still find his green chives spread throughout the property and marvel at the maples splash of scarlet against the green pines. Thanks, Frank.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Anne and Chris,
How great to hear of your blog and be able to be in touch. I felt so badly not being able to be with you for the "good-bye." As it turns out, things were firing off rapidly at that moment, which have resulted in my retirement from parish ministry and moving to Paso Robles. I'll be E.D. of the SLO County Food Bank in my next stage of ministry. We're very excited and very sad, not an unfamiliar feeling for you, I'm sure. Thank you for making it so easy to keep in touch. Peace and love to you, Carl

Anonymous said...

Anne, I had no idea that it was so beautiful in Minnesota. I have never been there before. Thanks for writing and showing pictures.
Kathy